Trent Staggs was elected mayor of Riverton, Utah, on November 7, 2017, after serving four years on the Riverton City Council. He was officially sworn into office on January 2, 2018. He recognizes the great deal of trust that the approximately 45,000 residents in our city place in him as an elected official, and promises to value that trust by listening to the requests of our residents, informing residents on issues and to be prepared and actively participate at meetings.
His priorities while in office include:
- Increasing community participation
- Lower taxes and fees
- Responsible, balanced development
- Improve transportation flow and options
- Revitalizing the old downtown
- Keeping water quality high, prices low
“I ran for office because I love Riverton and want to contribute to the success of the place my family and I hope to always call home.”
Mayor Staggs was raised in a large family with nine siblings. He learned the value of hard work, communication, continuous improvement and financial responsibility early in life from his parents.
He attended Bingham High School and served a mission for his church in Tahiti. Working his way through college, he earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Utah focusing his studies in political science and economics, and he later earned an MBA from the Marriott School of Management at Brigham Young University
Mayor Staggs and his wife Alisha have been married for 12 years and have two children.
Professionally, Mayor Staggs has demonstrated the leadership necessary to run both successful start-up and Fortune 500 organizations in the direct sales, finance and technology industries for almost 20 years. He currently works on the advisory board of a publicly traded company, managing an operational unit in Utah. Prior to his current role, he served as Technology VP on the corporate leadership team of a global direct sales company that operates in over 35 markets and held management positions for a nationwide mortgage brokerage firm and at Morgan Stanley. He has also held a principal broker real estate license in Utah for over 10 years.
Boards and Committees
- Riverton City Council, Chair
- Unified Police Department Board of Directors
- Redevelopment Agency of Riverton City
- Riverton Law Enforcement Service Area (RLESA), Board Chair
- SW Mayors Conference
- Salt Lake County Conference of Mayors
- South Valley Sewer Board
- Wasatch Front Regional Council Transportation Coordinating Committee, Public Works Committee, and Joint Policy Advisory Committee